Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Pillow

 

 
 
This is my attempt at a throw pillow. I had a little, unrefined pillow from Ikea, just waiting to be put to good use, 
 
 
 
a bunch of yarn in different colors leftover from my niece's baby blanket, 
 
 
 
and my in-laws were coming to visit. Thus, a crocheted pillow.

First, I made up a pattern for the hexagon.
 
 
 

Then, I got bored with the color combination I was using, so I decided to make each side of the pillow different.
 
 

 
 
Then, I couldn't decide how to attach the hexagons, so I did that differently on each side, too. 
 
On the purple side, I wove the individual pieces together after they were all finished. 
 
 
 

On the pink side, I attached the hexagons as I made them.
 
 

 

Now, I'm in the process of weaving in the loose ends-my least favorite part of crocheting.
 
 
 

The pillow was inspired by a beautiful pillow I saw on flickr, with lovely cable stitching between hexagons, and some contrast color edging.

Here's my current dilemma: 
I need to figure out how to attach the top and bottom parts. Should I continue in the light blue color, or change colors? What kind of stitching should I use? Should I include edging? And finally, should I have a button closure, so the pillow can be removed, or should I just close the whole thing up, since the yarn can be machine washed and dried anyway?






Any suggestions would be welcome. Also, I'd love to hear about similar conundrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment